Oatmeal is typically thought of as a sweetish breakfast food, but this “recipe” turns it into a textured, savoury porridge that’s healthier than grits and faster than congee, and can also be used as a base for a comforting, cold-weather afternoon or evening meal. And you can make it in less than three minutes!
1. Pour instant oats into a microwaveable bowl.
2. Instead of water or milk, cover with chicken or vegetable broth. (If you don’t have broth on hand, you can also use a mix of stock and water, miso and water, or marmite/vegemite and water.)
3. Microwave for a minute or so until oats are cooked, adding more broth if needed.
4. Flavour with sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic/onion powder, and pepper to taste.
5. Optional: top with scallions, a fried egg, shredded chicken, mushrooms, fermented tofu, etc.