Roasted orange carrots, purple red onions, and red pepper make for a sweet and colourful pasta dish. All you need for the base of this dish is: any kind of pasta (penne, small shells, or whole wheat spaghetti all work well), garlic, and your red veggies. Then add your choice of tomato, olive oil, or cream/cheese for the sauce (if serving hot) or dressing (if serving as a pasta salad).
1. Preheat oven to 450 F. Place three or four well-smashed cloves of garlic on a baking tray and spray with olive oil spray. Pop into the oven to begin cooking as it warms.
2. Put a pan of water on to boil. When the water reaches a boil, salt the water and cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside when done.
3. Meanwhile, slice a carrot into thin sticks, or use shredded carrots. Add to the baking tray, seasoning with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, rosemary and thyme. Put back in oven.
4. Slice the pepper into sticks as well, and the onion into crescents. When done, put them into the tray too and roast for another 10-15mins until softened.
5. When the veggies are all done, toss with the pasta and serve with choice of sauce or dressing…
E.g. a) For a tomato-based sauce, slice tomatoes and sautee in olive oil until they soften into a kind of sauce, adding more seasoning as desired. Or just open a jar of marinara or alfredo! You can also add sardines or meatballs for protein.
E.g. b) For a pasta salad, simply toss the pasta and vegetables with some sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil; with crumbled feta or goat’s cheese; and/or with light cream cheese. Chill for a few minutes in the freezer if you want it ready faster.